Friday, March 11, 2016

Today, I Failed


I was having a great start to the day.  During my zero period intervention class, I worked together with two students to figure out a way to visualize 6 ÷ 2/3.  That was a challenge for me, let alone my interventions students.  But together we worked it out and came up with a system to make the math visual.  The two girls then used the strategy we came up with to solve the rest of their problems as they came up in ST Math.  The girls even shared with the rest of the class as they came into the classroom their new way of looking at dividing fractions.


We then moved on to a real world math problem.  Students worked on these collaboratively in groups.  They had success at varying levels.  During that activity Jason Green, Mr. Redbird himself, came to visit the class.  I got to chat with him while students worked on their problem.  We then went over how the students solved the problem in different ways.


I then moved on to our next activity.  It was one that I was excited to try out.  I was going to use Jon Corippo's Iron Chef activity to introduce a lesson on natural resources.  I had the template all laid out and ready to go.  I pulled up a YouTube clip of the actual Iron Chef show to explain the idea behind the activity.  I showed the students the Google Slides template and explained the secret ingredient to them.  I thought that it was clear and self-explanatory...I was wrong.

The lesson flopped.  Students were lost and confused.  What I thought was going to be a simple, quick activity turned into a long, drawn-out ordeal.  And all of this in front of Jason Green, head of Redbird, a blended learning PD platform.  My blended learning lesson failed. But I did learn from the experience.

Come watch me fail again in the Lab Class.  Let's learn together.

Post by @MrSorensen805








No comments:

Post a Comment